This was a lengthy project. And by lengthy, I mean over a year. Well... to be honest I took a break midway through for a couple of months, but all told this was probably the longest I've ever spent building a single model, scratch-built or no.
When I started building I really only had one goal in mind: I wanted to build something that had crab legs. I knew I would give it an antique, retro look, but beyond that I didn't plan most of it and just went with whatever came to mind as I built.
As you'd imagine, I made some changes here and there as I went when something didn't look as I'd planned. Other times a new idea would come to me and I'd just scrap what I made or save it and use it somewhere else. This is one of the facets of scratch-building that I love most. There's no rulebook, no guide, no rules. If I want to add something here or cut something there, I can just do it. There's no right or wrong.
Sadly, this beast remains in Illinois. When I moved back to California, I was too afraid that it would be destroyed during moving and left it behind. Maybe this means that I'll just need to make another one.